1) In talking with our daughter today, I realized some of the damage that was done to the kids by the depression that I struggled with for so long. I wept.
2) I’ve been busy cleaning in preparation for a visit on Saturday. An old friend of my husband from his university days -and his wife – will be in town to pick up their grandson from university, and will stop by for a visit. We haven’t seen these people for about 30 years, only keeping in touch through Christmas cards. I think it will do my husband good to re-connect with an old friend. He has always been reluctant to do the things necessary to hang on to friendships, and now that he is ill I think some socializing would lift his spirits.
3) I’ve been anxious about the visit because I feel like I’m going to be judged. These people have always had a lot more money than us, and I infer from their recent letter that they are doing very well financially. We are not, and are trying to live simply. This kind of situation is difficult for me historically, and I don’t understand the why’s of it. I would like to simply enjoy my husband’s pleasure at connecting with this old friend.
4) On Saturday evening will be the celebration of the second anniversary of our Catholic book club. We’ll have a potluck and then a dramatic reading of A Man for all Seasons. This will be different and rather daring for us, and I’m really looking forward to it!
5) My second attempt with sourdough starter (the first one went mouldy) was successful! I made bread with it, and also sourdough pancakes. I’ll have to look out for some more recipes.
6) I’ll have to put together a post sometime soon about the miracle God sent that cured my lifelong depression. Thank you, Lord!
7) I’m not sure exactly how the months divide into seasons. When can I figure spring is supposed to be starting? Okay, winter doesn’t start until late in December. But are the winter months December, January, and February? That would make the spring March, April, May, and then June would be a summer month, and September a fall month. That sounds like the way the weather goes. Is that right? No, I don’t want to Google the question, I just want to mush it around in my head. I kind of enjoy being unsure about it. I’m stubborn that way.